Our School's History
Established in 1867
Brooklyn Friends School was founded in 1867 as a co-educational grade school by the Religious Society of Friends. The institution has encouraged and facilitated learning and personal growth within the context of a challenging academic program and a caring community ever since.
With an initial student body of 17, Brooklyn Friends started as a grade school in the landmarked Brooklyn Monthly Meetinghouse at 110 Schermerhorn Street. The school expanded to include a kindergarten in 1902 and a high school division in 1907. In the early 1970s, the school moved to larger, more spacious quarters at 375 Pearl Street. The seven-story building dates back to 1928 and previously housed the Brooklyn Law School.
Brooklyn Friends School Archives
Look below to browse historic photos, playbills, publications, and videos.