College Preparation and Counseling at BFS
Applying to college is a process of self-discovery. It is a time to reflect on who you are and who you are becoming. The process is inherently reflective, requiring students to consider how their academic, personal, and social journey will prepare them for their post-secondary endeavors.
College Counseling at Brooklyn Friends School is informed and guided by our school’s mission, and core values. We work in partnership with students and families to guide them through this process of deep inquiry. We challenge students and families to see beyond college admissions as a means to an end. Instead, in line with Quaker values, we encourage all to consider the simplicity within the college admissions process. What values, opportunities, and experiences are essential to help students thrive academically, personally, and socially? The College Counseling team believes the answer to that question can be found in a variety of institutions and post-secondary opportunities.
Through individualized support and counseling, College Counseling aims to:
- Help guide students through a journey towards self-actualization, which leads students to recognize and embrace their individual gifts.
- Help students articulate how they have shared their gifts within their communities, whether it is at BFS, at home, in their neighborhood, or beyond.
- Help students uncover the ways in which multiple colleges could be good fits given their academic, personal, and financial needs, desires, and aspirations.
- Help students discover and embrace their worth in ways that are not tied to the outcomes of the college admissions process.
To achieve our goals, college counselors will:
- Establish meaningful relationships with students and their families through one-on-one meetings beginning in their junior year.
- Ensure that our counseling is student-centered and focused on the specific social, emotional, and academic needs of the student.
- Cultivate a sense of community around the college process through small-group seminars and grade-wide evening programs.
- Be a visible presence within the BFS community through participation in community-wide events.
- Serve as a college admissions resource to any member of the BFS community.
- Build and maintain relationships with admissions professionals through local and national conferences, college visits, networking, and other professional development opportunities.
- Stay abreast of trends in higher education and college admissions.
The College Counseling Team
For College Representatives
To schedule a visit to our campus, please visit this website.
Click here for directions and parking information to the Upper School at Brooklyn Friends School, now located at 116 Lawrence Street, Brooklyn 11201 (in MetroTech Center).