Preschool Threes, Kindergarten, and 9th grade.
For Fall 2018 enrollment, birthdays should fall between the following dates:
BFS looks for students with a history of strong academic success. The school is interested in a candidate whose background and experience demonstrate an ability and willingness to make a positive contribution to the school community and who will actively support the school’s program and values.
Yes, but we encourage you to apply as early as possible. It is not necessary for you to tour before submitting an application. Save the dates and reserve your spot for an upcoming tour here.
Because of scheduling constraints, we are unable to tour families during interviews.
If your child is accepted, we will be happy to tour your family before you are asked to make a decision.
Please wait to hear from us. If we are able to consider your application, we will directly contact you.
- Preschool-Grade 1 — There is no admissions test.
- Grades 2-4 — We require the ECAA (#330610), administered by ERB.
- Grades 5-8 — We require the ISEE (#330610), administered by ERB.
- Grades 9-11 — The ISEE (#330610) is preferred. The SSAT (#1880) is also accepted.
- Applicants for whom English is not the native language are encouraged to take the TOEFL (#7111), administered by ETS.
Yes. ISAAGNY and ERB have joined together to provide financial assistance for ERB admission testing fees for applying families with demonstrated need. The fee waiver will cover only a portion of the test and is only applicable for the ECAA for grades 2-4 and for the ISEE for grades 5 and up.
To find out more about the possibility of receiving a testing waiver, please contact our office at email@example.com.
To find out more about a fee reduction for SSAT testing, please contact the Director of Admissions Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Yes. To receive legacy consideration, applicants must be at least one of the following:
- Siblings—brother or sister to someone who is currently enrolled in BFS and will be enrolled the following school year.
- Children of alumni—applicants whose parent(s)/guardian(s) graduated from the 12th grade at BFS.
- Children of faculty & staff—applicants whose parent(s)/guardian(s) are currently employed – for a year or more – at BFS and returning to BFS the following year.
- Members of the Religious Society of Friends—applicants whose parent(s)/guardian(s) are members of the New York Quarterly Meeting. Quaker families who are members of other Meetings will be given priority after the members of the New York Quarterly Meeting.
Yes, for Family Center, Preschool and Kindergarten.
In keeping with the established guidelines of the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY), Brooklyn Friends School may offer an early notification option to legacy applicants—siblings, children of alumni, faculty and staff, and members of the New York Quarterly Meeting. This permits us to notify families with children applying to Family Center, Preschool and Kindergarten by the end of January of the coming school year, provided that applications are received by September 30 and the application process has been completed by December 1.
If you decide to take advantage of this option, please notify the Admissions Office of your intention as soon as possible, and no later than December 1. The expectation is that if the child is accepted, the child will attend Brooklyn Friends School.
If you do not choose early notification, you may still apply as part of the regular admissions process.
We encourage families to consider other school options in the event that BFS is unable to offer enrollment to the child whether you opt for early or regular notification.
Our waitlist consists of a pool of qualified candidates who have not been accepted because of limited space in the grade level. Should a place become available, the committee will select a waitlist candidate to fill the place based on the needs of the class.
As it relates to the daily academic programming, our tuition is all-inclusive. Please see our Tuition Schedule for more information.
We do not offer merit-based scholarships to external candidates.
Yes, we do once a student has been accepted.
Brooklyn Friends School is actively committed to building and maintaining a racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse community. Currently, approximately 39% of our students are of color and 42% of faculty and staff. Approximately 27% of our families receive financial aid.
Yes, but accessibility is limited.
Students come from all five boroughs within the NYC metropolitan area and New Jersey.
No; however, we do offer Student Metrocards.
- Preschool: Typically, there are 14 students in the Half-Day Preschool Threes and 15 students in the Full-Day Preschool Threes programs with a head teacher and an assistant teacher. There are 18 students, a head teacher and an assistant teacher in the Preschool Fours program.
- Kindergarten to Grade 4: There are 20-22 students per class with a head teacher and an assistant teacher.
- Grades 5 to 8: There are 15-20 students per class.
- Grades 9 to 12: Typically, there are 18 students per class.
- Preschool Threes: During the playdate, applicants will play with teachers and a few other children in a Preschool classroom. Parents will remain in the room with their children and will fill out a brief informational form about their children during the visit.
- Preschool Fours, Kindergarten and Grade 1: During the visit, applicants will meet with a member of the Admissions team for a one-on-one interview while parents have a concurrent interview with another member of our Admissions team.
- Grades 2-5: Applicants will spend a half-day in a classroom, from 8:30am to lunchtime. The parent interview will be on the same day, either after the applicant is dropped off in the classroom or before the applicant is picked up in the afternoon.
- Grade 6-11: A member of the Admissions team will spend about a half hour with the applicant and about a half hour with the parents. The applicant will be given a brief activity to complete during the parent interview.