Summer Reading and Activities
School life, growing, learning, and connecting with one another never ends at Brooklyn Friends School. BFS Administrative Offices are open virtually throughout the summer, and our Summer Camp and Summer Arts programs are now underway in virtual time and space.
Below are some resources and reminders to help families and students plan for a productive summer as well as the beginning of the 2020-21 school year. New information will be added to this news post throughout the summer, so check back regularly.
Summer Reading Website from Your BFS Librarians!
Everything you need to know about the summer reading program at BFS is on our Librarians’ comprehensive Summer Reading resource website. On this site you will find recommended summer reading for each grade level (as of Sept. 2020) as well as the Required Reading Lists and Guiding Questions from the English Department for students in Grades 5-12 (as of Sept. 2020).
The Librarians recommend using your e-library card or purchasing books through your local independent bookstore. Please note that the New York, Queens and Brooklyn Public Libraries plan to reopen some branches for “grab-and-go” service in early July.
- Special Note for Upper School Students: In mid-July, English course summer reading books will be sent directly to the student’s mailing address on file with the school; please be sure to update your address if necessary on this form.The all-Upper School book, Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, will be sent electronically to all students over the summer.
More for Preschool and Lower School Students and Families
Our teachers had one grand slam after the other during Virtual BFS and have extended their amazing winning streak for teaching and learning into the summer. As parents already heard from Preschool Head Maura Eden and Head of Lower School Jackie Condie last week, there are several fantastic BFS resources for families and students to learn from in the coming months:
- Preschool Reading List– an illustrated compilation of 35 books carefully selected for quality and enjoyment by our BFS librarians
- Preschool 3s Learning Resources and Preschool 4s Learning Resources – These are curated and comprehensive lists, with links, to the read-alouds; book-looks; songs; recipes; games; and art, sensory, science, and movement activities that the children enjoyed during Virtual BFS.
- Lower School Math Website– oodles of fun activities and games to support math concepts and skills, along with summer family activities for thinking mathematically; the resources are compiled by grade. Be sure to check out the Math Puzzle Magazines for every grade.
- Lower School Specialist Resources and Activities– a curated list of activities and sites to support your children’s love and interest in Art, Music, Science, Tech, Dance, P.E. and Spanish.
- Lower School Library Website– summer reading lists by grade and a host of activities and suggestions to support reading and writing. Don’t miss the section with 40 illustrated ideas and activitiesthat students can try out this summer to stretch their imaginations and learn new skills.
More for Middle School Students and Families
Explore optional summer learning activities and resources, thoughtfully compiled by our Middle School colleagues, at Panthers Central.