The BFS health offices are booming with an array of cold symptoms and stomach bugs. Many of our friends are leaving school early or have missed school in the past month due to illness. Here are a few tips to stay well during this cold and flu season:
– Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from school when you are sick. You will help prevent others from getting sick.
– Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away after use and wash your hands. If a tissue is not available, cover your mouth and nose with your sleeve, not your hand.
– Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
– Get a good nights sleep. Lack of sleep can affect your immune system. You are more likely to catch a cold or get sick because your immune system can’t fight it off.
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
– Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, especially when someone is ill.
– Get your Flu shot. Getting the shot helps not only protect you from the flu, but also prevents spreading it to others others around you.
Let’s do our best to remain healthy as the school year progresses.
Here are some other great resources to prevent illness in our community: