Merit Scholarship for 8th Graders Continuing into the BFS Upper School
Brooklyn Friends School awards up to three merit scholarships to 8th graders who are continuing their BFS education into Upper School. These scholarships are worth $10,000 for each year the student is enrolled in the BFS Upper School and consistently demonstrates the characteristics listed below.
The merit scholarship committee will be looking for students who exhibit strength and consistency in areas of scholarship, service, and behavior.
- Consistent effort to work to potential and seek challenge
- Intellectual curiosity
- High level of participation and engagement in classes
- Motivation for learning, and striving to reach one’s academic potential
- Contributions to the life of the school
- Engagement in service learning (beyond school requirements)
- Willingness to help classmates academically and socially
- Exemplary behavior regarding school rules
- Respect for others (teachers, staff, administrators, parents, students)
- Behavior in accord with the school’s mission
- Leadership (broadly defined, including serving as a role model)
Information about the application process will be provided to 8th grade families in January.